Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dungeons and Dragons Board Game.

Yesterday, I bought the Castle Ravenloft Board Game. I read through all the rules and punched out all the tokens and generally just rooted through the whole thing. I haven't played a complete game of it yet but I gone over it enough I think I could without referencing the rule book.

Since I had no idea what the game would be like when I bought it, I figured I might as well write a post about it. Maybe someone out there is thinking of buying it but wants more info.


Characters:

The characters look like 4th edition characters but they lack the base statistics as well as fort, ref and will. They only have HP AC and surge value. The party gets two healing surges to share, which are used when you are unconscious. The cleric also has healing capability.

If you are knocked out and not healed then on your turn you use a healing surge if you don't have any you die.  Damage is not random and is very low like 1dmg or 4 for a daily ability. So the HP is likewise lower then 4th edition with characters having around 8 or 10.

You start with some At-Will powers, one daily and one utility. Your can level up once if you roll a natural 20 and have killed a couple of monsters, you only need l 5xp. Becoming level 2 grants one more daily power and a bonus to AC and HP and that's about it. There are no levels beyond level 2.

The Monsters:

The monsters have HP and AC but also have tactics. Each player will end up controlling different monsters at the end of their turn, by following the monsters tactics. Interestingly if two players are moving the same kind of monster then those monsters both act on both of the players turns.

The Tiles:

The dungeon tiles in the game are different then the dungeon tiles you can buy separately. They are all exactly the same size except the start tile, and they interlock on all four sides. The pictures on them however, show you where walls and such are. The tiles are used similar to how cards are used, with their backs face up and you not knowing which tile is about to be placed.

The Miniatures:

You get alot of hard plastic and not painted miniatures. Which I actually like, to me they are more durable then the typical Mage Knight like miniatures. They will certainty hold up against my kids alot better. With the exception of the skeletons they are not very flexible. Also, I think they are color coded.

The Counters:

There are all sorts of counters, for things like conditions and traps, monsters, items. Personally I think there are too many counters and don't know which way to store them is best.

The Learning Curve:

I'd say the learning curve is small. I think I could teach four people how to play the game without even opening the rule book anymore beyond my first read through.

One more thing though, the game actually runs out of an adventure book and not everything in the adventures are random. However they are simple enough and can even be played one player. I think you could make up your own adventures if you wanted but the game in general is far simpler then even basic dnd.

I think War Hammer Quest is far more complex. I don't know weather to play ADD tonight or try out the board game. Maybe both.

6 comments:

  1. I've got both Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon and have enjoyed them very much. I even took the time to paint all the minis, which definitely adds a whole new dimension to play.

    A couple of notes: first, the two healing surges are shared by the entire team. The game will be far too easy if each character has two surges to use.

    And as far as storage, I recommend resealable plastic sandwich bags for the tokens and tiles, and cheap Magic: The Gathering type deck boxes for all the cards. The smaller square and circle tokens actually fit pretty nicely inside the hard clear plastic containers that a standard set of polyhedral dice typically come in. I've got both games organized like that and managed to fit all the tokens tiles and cards for both games in one of the boxes after removing the plastic liner, and I keep all the minis in another box (as they get used frequently for normal D&D).

    Also, the forums at BoardGameGeek.com have a ton of custom heroes, monsters, and adventures, and they are all worth checking out, especially if you already have a decent collection of D&D Minis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sully, I actually thought it was 2 per person some I'm glad you mentioned that.

    So does the other game only have levels 1 and 2 as well?

    I have heard of the site but didn't know it would have that kind of stuff, sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Ashardalon has a new batch of five heroes, but you're still stuck at level 2. However, it does include a "campaign mode" option which features three or four different scenarios, and characters are allowed to keep items from adventure to adventure.

    Over at BoardGameGeek.com there are a couple of pretty well-designed 10-level progressions, which from what I have read seem to maintain game balance. It includes some stronger monsters as well that can be introduced at higher levels, as well as between-adventure cards for "campaign events" which are pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that people are expanding on the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so lou is it like the old d&d box set's like i had back in the day ? or is it completely differant ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would say completely different, but if you want something like that check out the Pathfinder Beginners Box, or the 4e d&d essentials red box.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...