Friday, August 26, 2011

NPC Creation using playing cards.

Over at Mythopoeic Rambling Theodric has posted a pdf that gives some quick rules too make random npc's and their stats using a normal deck of playing cards. I haven't tested it myself yet but I definitely see some potential there. Mostly I think I would use it in game when I don't want too be sitting at a computer but want too quickly get an idea for an npc.

Must first too concerns for his method are that it doesn't mention personality or quirks and I'm not sure how the random stats will turn out. But like I said I haven't tested it yet.

I think I will be likely not use the whole method but maybe just use it too genorate the race and/or class and the prime ability score. I could see use'g a card deck for many other ideas though maybe random alignment. Social class or contacts. Maybe even random weapons.

I guess in my mind though you could make a deck represent almost everything random in a campaign that you want. Even evernts or dungeon rooms. But maybe instead of making cards for specific things I could make tables to draw on rather then roll on.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Louis, thanks for the mention! You are correct: This is a bare-bones method that produces race, class, and ability scores (and possibly gender). Developing my lines of thought, though, you could easily add alignment. Also, note I have an idiosyncratic system of primary attributes that won't work for everyone, but can easily be changed. As far as personality and quirks go, I don't think the standard deck is conducive to that, but the unique mixes that occur often cry out for explanation, and the GM who wants to produce these character elements can do so by reasoning from what is produced. I'd be curious to hear if you take a look at the characters I produced or if you experiment with generating your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right that the combination of race, class and stats could and probably should give a DM some Idea of the personality. I think whats nice about your method is probably that you could quickly no longer need the pdf and be able to just draw them and know what they mean mentaly. I think I am going to add an update saying like wise.

    I was planning on checking out the npcs you made. I was kinda tired when I found your blog so at the time I didn't want too look at npc's but I'll probably check them out today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Tarot, the signifier card (also sometimes referred to as the "significator card") serves as a representation for someone or something in your current life. In most cases, people use the signifier card to represent themselves. In this respect, the signifier card is the central figure or question posed during a tarot reading. one card tarot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet web site , super style and design , rattling clean and utilize genial . IDN Poker

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...